Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week - Price Chopper

Bargain Meal of the Week

Ok, I'm losing my mind! Between planning a surprise family trip to Dis next week and life in general...I forgot to post a bargain meal for this week. Well, better late than never. Also, it gets very frustrating planning meals only from the fliers so I'm going to do some scoping after my vacation and hopefully create a PC price book that we can use to price out more items that may not be sale items but may be a good price for a recipe. Also, I'll be able to more accurately price out portions of pantry staples that we'll be using in recipes - like cups of flour, tablespoons of sugar, soy sauce, that type of thing.
Next week I'll be away but I'm not leaving 'til first thing Sunday morning so I'm hoping to have your bargain meal up on Saturday night with the new flier for Sunday.
On to the Bargain Meal of the Week!
Let's Get Grillin'! I love summer because I love cooking on my grill. Here's a favorite summer recipe for me. We use it with steak, chicken, sausage, anything!
Kabobs Without Skewers (they just add an extra step)
1 lb Boneless Bottom Sirloin Steak $2.99/lb
1/2 lb red peppers $1.68/lb divided by 2 = about 80 cents
1/2 large Vidalia Onion 99 cents/lb divided by 2 = 80 cents
1/3 bottle of Italian Dressing - about 50 cents
White or Brown Rice - cook as directed - less than a dollar

Slice steak into strips and marinate with about 1/2 the Italian dressing. Put a cover on and shake it up - marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cut up onions and peppers into chunks and marinate them with the rest of the dressing (in a seperate bowl).
Start warming up the grill. I put foil over my grill whenever I use it because I don't like charred food. Also, the juices tend to stay on the foil and it keeps the food moist. (As the food seems to finish cooking, I jab holes in the foil with my tongs.)
I partially cook the steak and then add the veggies to the other side of the grill and cook until everything is sizzling and full cooked through. Serve over or next to rice (if you don't like it when your food touches!).
If you feel nervous about the grill, check this website Grillin' Tips here for more info.
I was really scared of the grill until about 2 summers ago. I had my husband show me step by step how to start our gas grill and I've been grilling all summer, every summer since then!

No comments:

Post a Comment